Over the span of about two weeks I invited each therapist to our home for an interview. My daughter was present for each interview and I watched carefully to see how
the candidates would interact with her. I took notes throughout the conversation.
Here is what we talked about.
- specific items on the resume that caught my eye.
- years of experience, and experience with the very young (my daughter is 2).
- scheduling and what they thought was appropriate for a 2 year old.
- what the program would look like – basically the senior therapist designs and oversees the program. The lead therapists, or junior therapists will be the ones actually coming to your home to “do the program” with your child. The senior therapist will come every few weeks to check in on progress, and make modifications. The junior therapist in the home will contact the senior therapist as needed for advice.
- would a separate room be required in our home, the “therapy room”.
- would we need to buy any supplies?
- Cost. The costing is very similar across all the therapists. Typically, the senior therapist can run between $60-$110 per hour. They only come a few hours each month. The junior therapist can range between $15-$25 depending on experience.
The best advice I can give you would be to watch carefully for a special connection between the junior therapist and the child. We experienced that with our final interview and knew instantly who we wanted for our daughter! It’s very important your child thinks the therapist is fun so they can easily engage them in therapy. If a therapist doesn’t acknowledge or talk to the child at the interview then it’s best to keep searching.
Our program will be starting up in just a few days. Needless to say we are very excited and so happy with the path we have chosen for therapy. One thing I would like to point out is that we have some very talented therapists to choose from in Ottawa.
I’ll write again once we’ve had things running for a few months.
In the meantime, don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about setting up a home ABA Therapy Program!